Monday, June 11, 2012

Learning for the 21st Century - Day 1


Here is where I'm going to store my reflections from a technology conference that I am attending the week of 6/11/12:
Day 1: Speaker of the Day: Brian Mull from November Learning

Topics:
  • Twitter: how to use it, what can it do?
    • As a teacher, students can use my twitter to attempt to make connections and get questions answered using appropriate hashtags to try and make connections
  •  Evaluating websites - use the REAL technique
R –read the url (web address) like looking at the cover of a book – what is the file cabinet? Starting at the beginning
E – examine the content on the page --skimming and scanning
A – author – look at top or bottom to start - ~ (tilde) – easywhois.com
L – links – forward links – where will this page take me? Does it only link to itself? Does it take you to anything that references the topic? Back Links – link:url –google will tell you what websites have linked to you

  • Diigo - social bookmarking


Below are my tweets from the day:
Amber Bridge
I love highlighting in diigo! Makes my life easier 

RT : Why digital literacy is important for science teaching and learning  relevant 2 discussion

How can we help students build libraries of knowledge that they will continually build on in future years?  

Need to teach students to constantly question! 

Websites to help students to evaluate sources from the Alan November site -  

Mental note - remember the gear button on google 

Who is the best source when searching for answers? 

Love comparing wikipedia & news article - would be a great activity b4 starting a research paper with students!  

Can my reflective journal for the Learning for the 21st Century be my twitter feed for the week? 

Did NOT know about twuffer! Very excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment