Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Choice Assessments

During my ecology unit, I have evolved in how I allow to students to demonstrate their learning of concepts that we cover in class.  Middle school students relish the choice and freedom.  I think it helps connect them to the curriculum and make the learning more relevant to them, which can be quite the task with middle school students.
The basic skeletal design of my ecology unit is designed so that each week we explore a topic linked to a standard.  Students have a video that they watch on the topic and we have hands-on, very active labs that we collect data on to discuss and help us to extend our understanding of the standard.  Each Friday, students get to choose how they would like to be assessed on the standard.  I write 1 objective-based test that students take on senteo clickers and a write their reasoning on a piece of paper as to why they chose their answer.
Otherwise, I would make 5 laptops and 5 iPads available for students to use to create something to show their understanding.  I received ShowMe and Explain Everything Presentations, I had students create vocabulary explanations using google drawings, and create songs about their learning!  It was so great to see all of their creativity come out in different ways.  Also, I was able to share their products with other students who struggled with that week's concept.  A win-win where it was able to empower student voices, give them choices and have students learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment