Tuesday, January 20, 2015

iPad and Collaboration Frustration

So, today I am stuck.  I never thought that I'd say this, but I am frustrated with the iPad.  I have always been an iPad supporter.  I have used to to create videos in a flash using iMovie, using ExplainEverything to create unique tutorials, and Skitch to annotate and create unique images.  I believed that this was the ultimate creation tool!

And then I ran into this.... a teacher approached me and explained that his district switched from a MacBook 1:1 initiative to an iPad 1:1 initiative.  With the MacBook program, he had transformed his classroom into a collaborative world using Google Apps for Education.  Students were able to collaborate on presentations in a way that he had never been able to before.
Now as a iPad school, iPads are not proving to be collaborative.  In fact, the Google Slide app is so limited that students can not even put images into a presentation created on the iPad, only text.

I have found a few apps that allow for a creative, collaborative whiteboard space.  But they are very informal and do not have the sleek look of a presentation.  I have started to explore some web 2.0 tools to see if they will work on the iPad.  But, I am starting to realize that the free world of web 2.0 now has dollar signs in its eyes.  Many of the programs I learned about 4-5 years ago now have fees associated with them or are very "clunky" on the iPad.

So, where does this leave my teacher.  I'm still looking, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment