Monday, December 30, 2013

Google Forms as Rubrics

As a teacher, there are so many obligations and extras that come up from time to time.  So, when something comes up that makes my life easier, I take advantage of it!
I am lucky to have a iPad available to use in my class.  One way that I use it to assist in grading is that I use it in tandem with Google Forms.  First, I will create a Google Form off the the rubric that I have created and shared with students on the assignment.  When you have finished creating a Google Form, it will ask you if you want to share or embed it.  I copy the embed code and put that into a Google Site that I have created for myself.
Then, when I'm ready to grade my assignments, I pull out the student assignment papers and my iPad and I can just touch on the buttons in the Google Form on the iPad and submit a form for each student..so, easy!  Each time I click submit, it sends the results to a spreadsheet that I can work with very easily.
When I have finished grading, I go to the spreadsheet and I will run two features that I really like that is part of Google spreadsheets.
1) I use a vlookup to search for the students and their responses.  This way it automatically looks up and it puts it into alphabetical order.  No more weeding through a big stack of responses, it does the work for you. This has become part of beginning of school routine to set up a template that I can use the entire year.
Next, I copy this page and paste the values only into a new spreadsheet that I have set up with student emails.
2) I use the formemailer script on google forms where I can set up an email template and it will automatically send each student an email with my grading responses in it...love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment